On the occasion of World Mental Health Day 2019, an event organized annually by the World Federation for Mental Health, we spoke with our Rollers about the different challenges that come with agency life. This industry notoriously features long hours, the pressure to deliver on tight deadlines, and the expectation of creating exceptional work every time. These demands, coupled with stressors outside of the office, can make for a mentally taxing existence and lead to burnout, as well as other health issues.
Being a team that strives to talk candidly about mental health in the workplace, below is a summary of the recent survey circulated at Duckpin. The hope is that by sharing these insights and tips for implementing self-care, we can help nurture more compassionate working relationships internally and externally.
The Top Three Causes of Stress in the Workplace
How Do You Manage This Stress?
Tips for Practicing Self-Care Consistently
- Make a schedule for yourself and stick to it.
- Try not to work outside of work hours and do something opposite mentally or physically to work tasks. Doing something more physical and less intellectually straining makes a huge difference in mental exhaustion. Athletes factor in recovery time, and I think our brains need the same.
- Schedule self-care time just like you would schedule a meeting or an event. If it’s not treated like a priority, it won’t happen.
- Take a couple of minutes to look away from the computer screen to decompress, breathe, and refocus your energy.
- Go to bed early and wake up early so you can allow yourself time in the morning to dedicate to self-care.
- Trust your team; it’s not all on you.